Overview for Becoming a New York Property and Casualty Insurance Agent

New York Insurance Policy

Selling insurance in New York comes with basic education requirements.

Property & Casualty (P&C) agents essentially assist clients manage uncertainty and risk. They help them find policies
to protect against financial losses in case of accidental damages
to their businesses, homes, or cars. Property & Casualty insurance provides protection from risk in two areas: physical items like home, car, or inventory (property), and against legal liability (casualty).

Like most skilled careers such as lawyers, accountants, or teachers, a Property & Casualty insurance agent must receive industry specific training. They must also meet educational requirements before entering the professional workforce. There are a number of basic educational criteria that must be met in order to receive the insurance license from the State of New York.

Becoming a New York Insurance Agent: Basic Steps

In your quest for information about becoming a Property & Casualty insurance agent, you may have encountered conflicting advice or websites that are confusing. Therefore, we want to help you understand the basic but necessary steps to becoming a licensed insurance agent in New York. The State calls us “Producers”. As mandated by the New York Department of Financial Services (NYDFS), the division of the New York State government that oversees insurance agent licensing, an applicant must submit the following to become a Property-Casualty insurance agent in New York State:

  1. A fully completed application. This is submitted electronically (online) or paper form (mail). A list of applications with their explanations can be found on the NYDFS website.
  2. Documentation of having successfully completed a Department approved pre-licensing education course totaling not less than 90 hours of instruction.
  3. Documentation of having passed, within two years immediately preceding the date of the Department’s receipt of the application, the examination prescribed by the Superintendent of Insurance.
  4. An approved appointment from a sponsoring insurance company.
  5. An electronic payment or check payable to the Superintendent of Insurance for the license fee.

How Much Education Is Required?

Completion of the required pre-licensing education to become a New York insurance agent is one of the most important things you need to do.

The minimum 90 hours New York State requires to become a Property & Casualty insurance agent are taught in classrooms right here in the Boroughs.  REEDC provides a 96-hour NYDFS approved course to prepare students for the New York Licensing Exam and a successful career moving forward.  Classes include:

  • insurance & risk management
  • general liability basics
  • insurance regulations & fraud
  • commercial lines property coverage.

REEDC courses include practice exams, expert training
by experienced industry professionals, and job placement assistance to provide students with the necessary resources
to successfully pass the exam and confidently begin
their new career.

Regardless of whether you choose REEDC or not, you should have all those benefits offered to you to best prepare you for this career.

For the future, keep in mind when renewing your insurance license, you must complete New York State Approved Continuing Education courses, which are also available at REEDC.  This continuing education condition is to ensure licensed Property & Casualty agents remain current in their knowledge. They must maintain a solid understanding of the insurance marketplace, related laws and regulations.

Now It’s Up to You

Please contact REEDC for questions about our Property & Casualty Insurance courses. Also, check out our Insurance Career Overview page for more information about licensing, packages, schedules and resources. Go ahead and take a look at it if you like, but don’t let it frighten you; speak with an career adviser at
800-547-6020 so you can see how much of this the school can help you with. Since you’re looking into a class taught by someone who has been in the insurance business for many years, you are going to get a lot more of the ins and outs than you may from some institution which also happens to offer insurance classes.