What are the traits of a successful real estate agent? What traits and skills distinguish top producers?
Here are ten traits of a successful real estate agent.
Knowledge is power. The knowledge you will need to master includes:
- the market
- the location and the history
- what new developments are planned
- know the transportation and the schools
- everything about the area where they invest
For a great article on what is important for real estate agents to know:
2. Build a network of connections. A vast network is one of the traits of a successful real estate agent. Successful real estate agents build a large network within the market they serve.
Your network should include:
- other real estate agents and brokers
- potential buyers and sellers
- home inspectors
- mortgage loan officers
and all other players
3. Understand the local housing market.
A top producing real estate agent masters the subtleties of a specific community’s housing market and pricing. This usually means identifying and developing a focus or niche in the local real estate market that allows you to differentiate yourself from the competition.
4. Attention to detail. Paying tight attention to the details is another of the traits of a succesful real estate agent. A total real estate agent is alert to the specific needs of their individual clients.
You will need to:
- be organized
- follow up with leads
- communicate well
- pay attention to the needs of your clients
5. Engaging personality. A good real estate agent doesn’t just sell properties—they sell themselves. Demonstrating your real personality is also one if the key traits of a successful real estate agent.. People will warm up to you when have a great attitude, are personable and honest, are confident in your abilities, and focus on serving others. For an excellent post on the traits of top producing real estate agents, see:
6. Hustle and tenacity. Consistently excelling as a real estate agent requires a great work ethic.
You will need to:
- pursue every lead
- aggressively market your clients’ properties
- work a lot
- work smart
- devote the right amount of time
- do whatever is required to close the deal
7. Interest in houses and architecture. Having a real interest in houses and architecture can give you a leg up over other brokers and salespersons. When your knowledge and interest level is clear in conversations, your clients will see know you care about the industry your profession.
8. Honesty and integrity. Your professional reputation is vital for a long and successful career in real estate.
9. Self-motivated entrepreneur. Wanting to control your own professional destiny and be your own boss is a trait shared by top real estate professionals. This involves a high degree of self-motivation, drive, and smart decision making.
10. Problem solver mindset. Do you like coming up with creative solutions to problems or issues? Many successful real estate agents know how to correctly showcase a property to make it more marketable and develop creative MLS listings to attract the right buyers.
For more information on the traits of a successful real estate agent, please read our post here: