The New York Producer Individual Marketplace Certification
This is the second required certification course that will help insurance professionals better explain and present the options for The Affordable Healthcare Act (commonly referred to as Obamacare and the ACA) to consumers.
The SHOP Exchange Certification Course must be successfully completed prior to enrolling in this course. This required insurance certification class also qualifies as an insurance continuing education course by the NY Department of Financial Services (NY DFS)
The New York Producer Individual Marketplace Certification course offers much needed, current information on aspects of the insurance industry affected by the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
This 8-hour course focuses on the insurance professional helping consumers to understand their options under the ACA. The modules are as follows:
- Introduction to the ACA – covers benefits, types of eligibility, and the Certification overview.
- Privacy and Security – covers HIPPA, PII and PHI as well as the importance of online security.
- Roles and Responsibilities – explains the agent's role and the characteristics and needs of potential clients.
- Marketplace Terms and Program Information – covers a variety of terms and details of the programs offered through the Marketplace.
- Individual Marketplace – focuses on the input of data that determines a client's eligibility within the Marketplace.
- Pick A Plan – presents the process and information necessary to ensure Marketplace clients select the program best suited for their needs.
- Complaints and Appeals – educates the attendee on the process of dispute resolution within the Marketplace.
This course includes the types of plans offered through the Marketplace and benefits of the each program offered. Terms discussed include:
- Essential Health Benefits (EHBs)
- Qualified Health Plans (QHPs)
- Advanced Premium Tax Credits (APTC)
Students will leave with an understanding of new program components and how existing plans may be affected by the Act. The New York State Health Insurance Program (NYSHIP) is also covered.
Upon successful completion of the course producers will receive a Continuing Education certificate worth 8 credits for Accident & Health Agents (LA), P&C Agents (PC), Life, Accident & Health Brokers (LB), and P&C Brokers (BR).
You will also have the qualifications to apply for certification on the NY DFS website. After validation of the credits, the agent or broker will receive an email message prompting her or him to sign a Producer Agreement with the exchange.
After your registration has been received you will be emailed a copy of handouts to be used in the course. To ensure better performance from your learning opportunity, you should study the handouts before coming to class. NOTICE: The handouts must be printed and brought with you to the class.
Fulfill your Continuing Education Requirements now while becoming certified to work with the ACA’s individual marketplace.You can enroll for New York Producer Individual Marketplace Certification by registering online below, or calling us at 800-547-6020.